Wednesday, August 29, 2012

On Campus

 
Afraid to oversleep.
 
Can't eat much for breakfast because of the knot in my throat.
 
Butterflies in my stomach.
 
Muscles tightening.
 
Fear of finishing last...
 
These were the recurring feelings I felt for four straight years in late August at the first day of "training camp" for the Grove City College women's soccer team.  The very first event was a timed mile run on the daunting track.  You see, soccer players run sprints and long-distance runs - not track - so those laps, with our coaches standing by with a stop-watch, were s.c.a.r.y.  Not too mention, for the last three years, worrying that one of the new freshmen would beat me!  Okay, that happened...my sister :)
 
These emotions rushed back to me as I went for a *jog* on the track at Bowling Green State University in Ohio while on a work trip.  It's been FIVE years since my last soccer season, and NINE since my first season at the Grove - WOW. 
 
It was a gorgeous end-of-summer-autumn-is-approaching evening.  Athletes practicing football and soccer were spread across the field like the numerous clouds in the sky - I could close my eyes and feel like I was back on the field at Grove City, grinding through a long run, tough drills, 120s (sprint after sprint after 120 yard sprint - yeah, not fun).  Somehow I came away with a few practice pics like this one - yes, that's me - sweaty, bloody-kneed, and yes, chunkier, I know.  It was *muscle*.
 
 
GOOD memories.  I had one of those ah-ha moments to remember to treasure every season in life, and not just be fixated on the next.  Women, (ahem, me) are sooooo prone to do that.  How appropriate that I just read Ecclesiastes 3 - "There is an appointed time for everything.  And there is a time for every event under heaven."
 
Oh, and I'm happy to report, I've still got that competitive spirit - clocked my mile at 8:45! And now my body is a-hurtin'. Happy to just reflect on those 3-a-day practice memories for now :)
 


Some gorgous pictures from an early September Grove City game, circa 2007.

No comments: